Monday, September 15, 2008

Blog #2- Definition of creative nonfiction

After reading both readings (Lott, pg 270 and Kincaid, pg 209) a couple to times Creative nonfiction seems more clear to me. Lott's definition was a definition. His writings gave examples of others that wrote about creative nonfiction. I liked a few quotations, "Rather ,it is writing about oneself in relation to the subject at hand" (Lott, pg 271). And "relate to a chinese boxes that you keep opening, only to find a smaller one within" (Lott, pg 275). Both quotations tells or shows me that creative nonfiction is my experience in relation to the world. It is taking one part of my life and relating it to my surroundings. It is the chinese boxes that I keep opening and finding a deeper meaning of self. It is putting myself under a microscope and with kindness or judgement tell the reader what the microscope means to me. It is as Lott said "creative nonfiction is to understand, that is everything" (Lott, pg 277). And that is why I write, I write to understand myself in a situation. To get the greater meaning of my purpose in life. To be a better mother, and a better human being. Lott helped me understand creative nonfiction but more powerful he helped me clarify my writings. Lotts discussion gives me a more general ideal of what creative nonfiction is.


Kincaid, I just love. I read one of her writings in another english class "Jamaican Girl" and that was about a jamaican girl becoming a jamaican woman in the Caribbean, and what is expected of her. This writing"Biography of a Dress" was her experience in turning 2 years old. And to me it was an example of creative nonfiction. This essay added a personal account of a event in her life and compared it to what she knows now, if anything. She gave the event and went into great detail of that event, for example, about her yellow dress she wore to take her picture when she turned 2 years old. She described the color in such detail that anyone could picture that yellow dress as boiled cornmeal. Kincaid's details were very personal and specific.

Both discussions were on creative nonfiction. Lott's discussion was more general and Kincaid's discussion was very personal and specific. Both clarified to me what a creative nonfiction writing consists of.

No comments: