Sunday, November 9, 2008

Draft Essay #3

I recieved some really great feed back from my group on friday. The third essay will be about a picture of my niece, nephew, son and daughter. This picture was taken over the summer time.

My family is a very close one, and I just love spending time with them. When my parents came to America years ago from Trinidad West Indies, they were the first of many. My parents each assisted both sides of their family to come to America and make a new life. When each family member arrived in America they lived with us for a year to get a job and buy their own home. So my house was always filled with family and when each member brought their home it was very close to where we lived. All the holidays was very exciting because my mother had 12 brothers and sisters and my father had 10 brothers and sisters, also my grandparents from both sides came. So as you can see with that number my extended family is huge. It seemed that every weekend was a holiday and it was fun. Sometimes you had an argument or two but at the end both parties made up. There was no need for babysitters because there was always someone to watch the children. There was no peer pressure from friends because cousins were the close friends and we all had the same values. It was the best of time and whenI did not want to eat my mother's cooking I could always go to my aunt's or uncle's home and eat with their family.

But after many years it all slowly came to an end. My father was the first to venture out. My father worked for AT&T in Manhattan ( New York) and the taxes was too much so AT&T decided to move to New Jersey. AT&T offered any employee who wanted to move a package that they will pay the total cost of moving and contribute to the cost or mortage of that employees new home. My father said that was an offer that he could not turn away from. Bushwick, Brooklyn was getting very dangerous to live and my father want to move out because he felt it was not safe for us (his girls). This was also the time when my parents went through their divorce and my father wanted a new start. So with all these reasons my father decided to accept the offer made by his job, AT&T. My sisters and I did not welcome the news but my father was the type of man that felt children should be seen and not heard. He did not come and ask us how we felt about the move. He said he was moving and the three of us had to move. We were very sad but we packed up and moved.

Since I was the oldest of my sisters, I had a lot of responsiblities. Living in Brooklyn among my extended family it was not as hard because there was always an adult around. Even when I went through my parents divorce, I still had my aunts and uncles (on both side of the family). The only person who was missing was my mother, but she was there for holidays. This move was a big one because we will be leaving all our family in Brooklyn. God, just saying that is so painful to me. Who will be the adult when my dad goes to work? Who would cook for us? This means that I have to take care of my sisters. How can I take care of them when I am trying to take care of myself.

The first year of the move was hard because it was only the four of us. The house was beautiful and big but I really did not enjoy it because I missed my extended family. I cried for days but did not let my father know, because I know he was doing what was best for us and I did not want to disappoint him. He too was by himself, he too had no one to support him, he did this for his children and I had to be a trooper. Our first Christmas was great because some members of my family would stay for the weekend. That was the best for a little while I would have my family and it would be almost as it was when we all lived in Brooklyn. And that Christmas was all I expected to be and more. I did not want to go to sleep, and I just wanted to absorb as much as I can and I did. But all good things must come to an end and it did. It was time for everyone to go back to Brooklyn and continue their lives. So each of us said "good-bye" and it was hard, but I did it.


not finished yes more to write.

No comments: