Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blog #14

This essay #3 I really don't know what to write about. I went looking through my picture box and just pulled out a picture. So I think I will write about this picture, this picture with my nephew, niece, son, and daughter. I like this picture because every summer my family would come and stay and this started when my son(Yorel 3 years old), daughter (Yazmin was 22 months), nephew (Davon 9 years old), niece (Bianca 7 years old). I enjoyed my niece and nephew coming out to New Jersey for the summer because they played well with my children, it got them out of New York, it gave my sister a single mom a break, and I just like having my family around. The picutre has all four kids playing in my bedroom and I took the picture to capture the memory. My nephew was helping my son ride his bike. I allowed them on rainy days to play inside and they played basketball, video games, roller skated and rode bikes. Bianca always picked up Yazmin and carried her like a baby doll. The boys were more ruff and tumble.

They just woke up and Davon had on a green tee shirt with navy blue shorts, Yorel was on a yellow handle bar toddler tricycle wearing a white tee shirt and plaid boxer, Yazmin had on a flower print nighty and Bianca had on a 2 piece flower print short pj set. The kids were waiting for me to make breakfast and call them into the kitchen to eat. I put them in the bedroom assuming they would watch tv and wait to be called, but when I came into the room I saw how much fun they were having and took the picture.

How should I start the eassy? Should I just describe the picture or give background? Should I talk about the long tradition of them coming out to my house for the summers from then until 2008?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forget what it's called, "medea reas"...something like that. It means, "in the middle" or something like that, and basically it means I think you should start in the middle of the story.

Pick some point in time, in the middle of the story, that makes the best dramatic device for getting your point across. This is a good technique, because you can make the introduction interesting without focusing on the narrative beginning.

For example:
You can start off with talking about an idyllic breakfast time with your family, then contrast that with something else...maybe how you didn't like them living far away in New York.

You'd have to figure out what your focus is first, though.

Good luck!

LaurenJW said...

i think that this sounds lik a great essay!.. i would love to hear the background story of it with yout traditions and why it was so special to you. i would love visually get inside that picsture and see what is going on and the feelings and emotions that are going on. explain why it was so important that u were together at that time

Mego3322 said...

That is a really nice idea, and also challenging! I had kind of the same idea with my daughter and niece and nephew but i really didn't know where to start!?!?! But I would start with some background...not with the picture itself or you can start off with a description of the kids such as...little boy in a blue sweater with the smile infront of this summer backdrop you could never imagine all he has been through....But I don't know it depends what the real background is soooo but you could start either way...But the focus shouldn't be the picture itself it should be an experience or what was going on while the picture was taken or why they took this picture..good luck!

Shannon =) said...

Sue, so im sitting next to you discussing your blog entry. i like your idea of a picture. i couldnt find any pictures that i would write about because i really wasnt sure. i took some objects that came to mind and wrote about them just in case something sparked. i think you could maybe start about the story and not mention it coming from a photograph. at the end say this was all from a photo. you need to think of a concept of why tell this story. do you not see them often? etc im sure whatever u come up with, will turn into a great essay =)